Part 1. GRAMMAR
I. Causative Have – Complete the sentences so that they have the same meaning as the original sentences. Use have something done.
EX: Somebody is going to write Mike’s biography. Mike _is going to have his biography written_.
1. A translator is checking his letter of application.
He __________________________________________________ .
2. The burglar had broken into our apartment.
3. The shop delivers food to Mary’s house.
4. John will take the photos for us.
II. Articles – fill in the correct article in the sentences a, an, the or Ø
- I like ______blue T-shirt over there, better than ______read one.
- Their car goes 140 km _______hour.
- Where is ________USB drive I lent you last week?
- Do you still live in _______ Bristol?
- My mother and I visited ______Lake Sabljaci with our friends from _______ Turkey.
- Is your mother working in________old office building?
- I think that_______beauty isn't ______most important thing in the world.
- ______mullet hairstyle became popular in the 1970s.
- Shall we climb ________ Mount Everest next year, or you would like to visit _____Rockies first?
- I believe that ________health is _______most important thing. /15
III. A) Put the correct form of the verbs in brackets (-ing form/to infinitive/base ore infinitive)
EX: I might _prepare_________(prepare) some chicken salad for lunch
- I can't stand________ (work) with all that noise.
- She refused __________(give) any information on her biggest clients.
- My mum never lets me _________(eat) sweets before dinner.
- I feel like _________(cook) some stew.
- Did he manage ____________(reduce) the amount of sugar in his diet?
- I miss ___________(have) meals at regular times.
- I hate adverts! It's impossible to avoid ___________(see) them on TV, in newspapers, on billboards. So, I have decided ____________(join) anti-advertising pressure group. /8
IV. Put the correct form of the HOT verbs have, make or do in the sentences. Pay attention to the correct tense that you use.
1. You need to _________ up your mind soon.
2. This flat is dirty because we haven't __________any cleaning lately.
3. I _________my homework every day.
4. We are __________ a party later tonight, will you join us?
5. She has __________ a terrible mistake.
6. It's incredible hot. I am going to __________ a cold shower.
7. Tom __________ a huge favour for me yesterday. He told the teacher that he would like to do an essay about „Hamlet“. I was so glad. Now I can _________ an essay on „Romeo and Juliet“. /8