The Coinbase referral program
The Coinbase referral program
The referral program lets you earn a bonus for each friend (“invitee”) who signs up and makes a crypto trade using your personal signup link.
How to earn referral bonuses:
- Visit the Referrals page on Coinbase.com or go to Settings in the Coinbase mobile app to get your referral link. Coinbase Pro accounts are not eligible for a referral bonus.
- Copy and share your referral link in an email, text message or via your favorite messaging app.
- Your friends can open the referral link in the message and sign up for a Coinbase account.
- Your friend needs to then complete their account set-up and initiate a buy or sell in one of our supported countries.
- Here are some other important details:
- Your friend also must not have an existing Coinbase account.
- Once your friend completes a buy or sell of $100 USD or more (or 100 USD equivalent of your domestic currency), you both will receive 10 USD (or 10 USD equivalent of your domestic currency).
- Please note that the buy or sell must happen within 180 days of the account open date. Also, orders can take up to 4 business days to complete.
I haven’t received my referral bonus, why is that?
Here are a few possible reasons you or your referrer are not eligible for the referral bonus:
- The invitee must sign up using your unique referral link. This means they need to create a new Coinbase account directly after opening your link. Referrals are not captured if the referred person signs up using the Coinbase app and not the unique referral link.
- The invitee must use https://www.coinbase.com/trade to complete their qualifying order; orders placed on Coinbase Pro will not count toward referral bonus eligibility.
- Referral bonuses are only paid if the person you referred verifies their account and initiates a buy or sell of $100 or more within 180 days of opening their qualifying account. The buy or sell has to complete (meaning the funds are delivered to the account). Buys can take up to 4 business days to complete. The amount can be a cumulative $100, it can happen over multiple purchases - for example, four purchases of $25 each. It can take some time for payments to go out, and they may not arrive immediately. Please wait 4 full business days after the trade is completed to receive a referral bonus.
- We do not pay out referral bonuses on duplicate or false accounts. Duplicate or shared financials will cause disqualification.
- If an invitee fails to complete the requirements to obtain a bonus within 180 days of opening his or her account, neither party will receive a bonus.
Will I be taxed on Referral Bonuses?
Referral bonus and other reward amounts exceeding $600 will result in a 1099-MISC being issued. You can view your total rewards by going to https://www.coinbase.com/reports, selecting Rewards Income from the transaction list dropdown and clicking Generate Report.
- You can share your referral link via email, text message, or any of your favorite messaging apps like Facebook, WhatsApp and Twitter.
- Referral links are a link to Coinbase.com with a special code on the end that makes your link unique. For example: https://www.coinbase.com/join/YOUR_REFERRAL_ID
- There is no limit to the number of friends you can refer, however there may be limits on the amount of referral bonuses you can receive.
Terms & Conditions
Promoting your referral code through the use of paid advertising on 'Coinbase' or Coinbase-related keywords is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, bidding or running ads on search brand keywords that include 'Coinbase' or similar variations and using 'Coinbase' branded terms in your ad copy, is not appropriate. Referrers who engage in such activities will have their referral codes deactivated and all referrals resulting from such activities are ineligible for referral payments.
Important Notice: Unfortunately we can't guarantee payout on every account you refer due to the limitations mentioned above and risk of fraud, but we make a good faith effort to do so whenever possible. In addition, Coinbase reserves the right to change the terms of the referral program at any time due to changing market conditions, risk of fraud, or other reasons. By participating in the referral program you acknowledge that receiving payouts is not guaranteed by Coinbase.