International contest of scholar articles - deadline extended till August 10, 2022
Application form for participation - DOWNLOAD
Contest deadline extended till August 10, 2022
on the procedure for selecting scholar articles devoted to the protection of the ozone layer for the international contest under the Joint project of the State Committee of the Republic of Uzbekistan for Ecology and Environmental Protection and UNDP/GEF ‘Complete HCFC Phase-out in Uzbekistan through Promotion of Zero ODS Low GWP Energy Efficient Technologies’.
1. This Regulation determines the process and procedure for the selection (hereinafter referred to as the “Contest”) of scholar articles on the topic of “The Ozone Layer and Life on Earth”. The contest encourages the participation of both men and women;
2. This contest is open for bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree students from accredited educational institutions from all over the world conducting research in the field of ozone layer protection, refrigeration and air conditioning;
3. The papers shall be accepted either in English or in Russian, provided that an abstract of the paper is submitted in one of the mentioned languages. For example, if the paper is written in English, the abstract should be in Russian and vice versa;
4. The paper should be up to 8,000 words, not including the list of references;
5. The paper must be published on web platforms or scientific publications between January 1, 2021 and August 10, 2022, and the link shall be sent to the organizers along with an electronic version of the paper;
6. The contest is held in two categories:
· Best scholar article on Central Asia (CA): The paper raises the issues on the consequences of ozone depletion in Central Asia and include practical recommendations for mitigating and preventing ozone depletion, including the role of women and girls in this regard;
· Best scholar article in general: The paper raises the issues on the consequences of ozone depletion in the world and include practical recommendations for mitigating and preventing ozone depletion, including the role of women and girls in this regard;
· Two (2) winners (one man and one woman) shall be awarded in each nomination. "The winners in each nomination will be awarded a laptop"
7. Granting of copyright: By submitting scholar article the candidate consents to distribute and use his/her article by the organizing committee and partner organizations. The Organizing Committee and partner organizations are obliged to credit the author of the work in their publications.
II.Purpose of the contest
8. The purpose of the contest is as follows:
· Raise public awareness on ozone layer of the Earth;
· Demonstrate the importance of the ozone layer in the life of all living organisms (flora and fauna) and the consequences of the ozone depletion;
· Promote the role of women in protecting the ozone layer;
· Increase the environmental awareness and responsibility in protecting the ozone layer.
III. Basic concepts used in this Regulation:
Working Group - the staff of the Joint Project;
Evaluation Panel - a dedicated group for the selection of scholar articles based on the evaluation criteria;
Criteria for evaluation and determination of winners (hereinafter – the Criteria) – the criteria, based on which the scholar articles are evaluated;
Scholar article - a study that examines a certain problem, applying a scientific method. It shall describe the relevance of the work, its goals, objectives, innovations and recommendations.
IV.Stages of the international contest of scholar articles
9. Information about the international contest shall be distributed in relevant institutions, the media, official websites and social networks of the State Committee for Ecology, UNDP and regional partners;
10. Applications and electronic versions of scholar articles, including a link to the published paper on web-platforms or a scanned copy shall be sent to email@example.com by August 10, 2022 in accordance with the form provided in Annex 1;
11. The list of participants shall be compiled by the Working Group from the applications received on firstname.lastname@example.org;
12. The scholar articles shall be submitted to the Evaluation Panel for consideration and two (2) winners (one man and one woman) in each nomination shall be selected based on the evaluation results.
13. Accepted scholar articles for competitive selection will be considered during the period August 10-25, 2022.
14. The award ceremony will take place at the event dedicated to the International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer, on September 16, 2022.
V. Evaluation Panel
15. The Evaluation Panel shall be formed from the representatives of the State Committee of the Republic of Uzbekistan for Ecology and Environmental Protection (hereinafter referred to as the State Committee for Ecology), the Tashkent State Technical University, the United Nations Development Programme (hereinafter referred to as UNDP) and other partner organizations. The Evaluation Panel shall perform the following tasks:
· Evaluate the scholar articles according to the Criteria provided in Annex 2;
· Determine 2 (two) winners (man and one woman) in each nomination;
16. The Evaluation Panel shall operate on a pro bono basis.
17. The representatives of the State Committee for Ecology and UNDP shall co-chair the Evaluation Panel.
18. The Working Group shall provide the following documents to the members of the Evaluation Panel:
· Participants’ applications;
· An electronic version of a participant’s research paper, including a link to the published paper on web platforms or its scanned copy.
19. While reviewing and determining the winners, the members of the Evaluation Panel shall be guided by the following selection criteria:
· Each member of the Panel shall review and evaluate the applications received, in accordance with the Evaluation Criteria, by grading (their decisions) separately for each item;
· Scores awarded by all members of the Panel will be summed up, and an average score for each paper will be derived, and be used in the comparative evaluation of applications of all participants.
20. The decision of the Evaluation Panel on the winners shall be final and may not be appealed.
Application form for participation - DOWNLOAD
Criteria for application evaluation and determination of the winner
The following criteria will be used to evaluate the scholar articles of the international contest.
1. The article is useful for decision makers and population, i.e. it defines the issue or the problem and identifies the factors related to it that helps to create a clear understanding of what needs to be decided and can influence the choice between alternatives. - 20 points
2. The paper supports/contradicts with existing theory or helps to develop a new concept or theory. - 10 points
3. The paper raises important new issues, including the gender aspect in the ozone layer protection. - 10 points
4. The paper is written with the generally accepted rules for scholar articles:
- The scholar article should be up to 8,000 words, not including the list of references
- The scholar article must be published on web platforms or scientific publications
- Citation of scientific resources - 10 points
5. The method is rigorously followed and clearly explains why the data support the findings - 10 points
6. The material is linked to previous research in this or related field, which helps to better understand the arguments of the paper - 10 points
7. The paper tells a story, is well-written and understandable, and the arguments are logical and internally consistent - 10 points
8. Consistency of title and content - 10 points
9. Analysis of the stated issue is conducted - 10 points