DGS Order 20 of 2020https://marinerscircle.com/
Subject: Conduct of Training courses for issuance of CoPs during the period of COVID-19 pandemic
Date: Aug 5, 2020
1. Whereas the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification, and Watch-keeping for Seafarers (STCW), 1978 as amended, establishes standards for training, certification, and watch-keeping for seafarers.
2. A large number of Indian Seafarers are employed both on Indian and Foreign flagships and their continued service at sea is dependent on having a valid Certificate of Competency (CoC) and valid Certificates of Proficiency (CoP) as one of the requirements.
3. Under Regulation I/11 of the STCW Convention, every Master and Officer holding CoC is required to demonstrate continued professional competence every 5 years.
4. And, every 5 years, all seafarers are required to provide evidence of having maintained the required standard of competence to undertake the task, duties, and responsibilities listed in tables A-VI/1-1, A-VI/1-2, A-VI/2-1 and A-VI/3 of the STCW Code, 1995 as amended.
5. Also, Indian Seafarers are providing this evidence of having maintained the required standard of competence by satisfactorily completing certain refresher courses at Maritime Training Institutes (MTls) approved by GOl, every 5 years.
6. As MTIs are closed, it has prevented Indian seafarers from undertaking these refresher courses and Article VIII of the STCW Convention permits dispensation from these requirements only for a maximum period of 6-months and that too under exceptional circumstances.
7. The IMO encouraged Maritime Administrations to take a pragmatic and practical approach with regard to the extension of certificates, including medical certificates, and endorsements, as strictly necessary, and in accordance with the STCW Convention, 1978, as amended; and to notify ships, seafarers and relevant administrations accordingly.
8. Considering all the above, till such time normalcy is restored and classroom training is resumed at MTls, the Directorate has decided to take a pragmatic and practical approach for revalidation of CoC/ CoPs of seafarers having approved seagoing service (for demonstrating continued professional Competence), by way of following 3-tier approach:
i) Imparting Knowledge and Understanding relevant to a particular competency through E-Learning Module.
ii) Completion of Virtual Classes/live Video Sessions.
iii) Passing of On-Line "EXIT Examination".
9. This Order is applicable to those Seafarers who comply with all of the following requirements:
- CoC or CoP is expiring on/prior to December 31, 2o21; and
- Officers having approved seagoing service for demonstrating continued professional competence for revalidation of CoC in accordance with Regulation I/11 of the STCW Convention, 1978, as amended;
- Ratings having sea-service of at-least 1-year in last years.
The MTIS enrolling the candidates would be responsible for verification of the eligibility of the candidates for the course opted by him.
10. In addition to the category of seafarers mentioned in para 9, that is with approved seagoing services, these courses, except for the refresher courses, can be done by those cadets/ trainees who have obtained their COC in order to obtain specific/ required endorsement.
11. This Order is applicable for the conduct of following courses through an e-learning module and Virtual Classes/Live Video Sessions:
Refresher in Personal Survival Techniques;
Refresher in Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats;
Refresher in Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting;
Refresher in Advanced Fire Fighting Refresher in Medical First Aid;
Revalidation Course for Engineers;
Basic Oil and Chemical Tanker Familiarization Course;
Basic Training Course for Liquefied Gas Tanker Cargo Operations;
Advanced Oil Tanker Course; Advanced Chemical Tanker Course;
Advanced Liquefied Gas Tanker Cargo Operations Course;
Security Training for seafarers with designated security duties Ship security officers.
12.MTI approved to Conduct the courses detailed in para 11 are allowed to conduct the courses through Virtual Classes/ Live Video Sessions and also follow the requirements detailed in following circulars:
i) DGS Circular 19 of 2020 dated 18.05.2020: Conduct of Maritime Courses using Virtual Classes/ Live Video sessions.
ii) Paragraph 5 of DGS Circular 24 of 2020 dated 08.06.2020 for the conduct of Maritime Courses detailed in this Order for candidates who are unable to use Virtual Class/Live Video Sessions.
iii) DGS Circular 21 of 2020 dated 27.05.2020: Issuance of digitally signed certificates for successfully completing maritime courses conducted by Maritime Training Institutes.
iv) Training Circular 13 of 2020: Procedures for assessing e-learning modules for maritime STCW Modular Courses.
v) DGS Circular No. 17 of 2020: Guidelines for On-line Exit Exam for DGS approved modular courses. Candidates should specifically refer to the note-3 of Paragraph 8.2 of the Circular with respect to the number of attempts allowed to pass the exam.
13. All CoPs (PST/PSCRB/FPFF/AFA/MFA) issued after completion of the 3-tier approach stated in this Order shall be valid for a period of 18 Months only from the date of passing Exit Exam.
14. The seafarers who have already joined ship or intending to join the ship on/before August 31st, 2020 can utilize the deemed revalidation of CoC/CoP provision provided by DGS Order No. 16 of 2020 dated 22.06.2020 and SOP dated 30.06.2020 for one contract only.
15. However, all other seafarers intending to join the ship on/after September 1st, 2020 have to comply with this order, in case they require revalidation of their CoClCoP.
16.SOP for the conduct of exit examination for seafarers and MTls is attached.
17. The process for the issue of the digitally signed course certificate shall be issued separately.