6 Reasons You Need Executive Headshot Photographer
Investing in top-quality, professional headshot photography is a key ingredient of your personal branding efforts. It brings out your very best, the way you want prospective clients to see you. Many people are not naturally photogenic. As a result, amateur photography can actually end up doing more harm than good by making you look nothing like you do in personâ¦and definitely not your best. A professional photographer that specializes in headshots knows how to place you, how to choose a suitable backdrop and let's not forget how to use just the right amount of lighting to get the best shot possible.
They can also direct you on the best type of clothing and colors to wear. Many believe that it is best that you dress as you may often do in your work environment. If you are a business executive, wear a suit. If you are a doctor or nurse, wear your lab coat. If you are a nature guide, wear what you would wear if you were outdoors. If you do work in the business arena and have a bit more flexibility with your âwork attireâ, choose colors that complement your skin tone and hair color. In general, solid colors are better than patterns. For men, a brightly colored (but not too bold) tie paired with a classic white shirt and dark-toned suit is a nice choice.
Now that social media has taken on such a vital role in promoting our professional abilities, having a headshot that makes a great first impression is more important than ever. Since every online platform requires a profile image, your headshot will have a far-reaching web presence in addition to more traditional uses like the staff page of your company's website or publication in conference materials.
So, that said, if you are still not convinced of the need to invest in professional headshot photography, here are six reasons to consider:
- It demonstrates your professionalism. Potential clients, investors, collaborators, employers, headhunters, etc. who donât know you personally are going to be more likely to reach out to you.
- A well-done headshot gives people an idea of your personality before they meet you. A smile portrays approachability. A serious look displays determination. Make your expression match your personality.
- It reminds business contacts who you are if they have met you in passing at a seminar. This little prompt makes it more likely they will take action on your âfriendâ or âfollowâ request.
- A current headshot gives people an idea of what you look like now. When people see a presentersâ headshot that was taken years ago, there is an immediate disconnect, and sometimes even a level of confusion. Itâs not good to surprise people in this way. It sends a message of inauthenticity and breaks down trust before you even begin to build it.
- It supports and enhances the skills on your LinkedIn profile, making you stand out from the rest. One hint specific to LinkedIn is to look to the left so you are literally looking at your profile description.
- It empowers you to look your best. Having a quality photograph of yourself to share with your professional colleagues improves your self confidence, and it can even motivate you to take that extra step with others, take a few risks, and overcome work-related challenges.